Membership of Professional Bodies/Subject Associations:
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of the international advisory panel for the AHRC Research Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music (CHARM) [2004-2009]
President of the Society for Music Analysis [2004-2008]
Committee member/Secretary of the National Association for Music in Higher Education [2002-2006]
Events Officer of the Society for Music Analysis [2000-2004]
– American Musicological Society
– Royal Musical Association
– Society for Music Analysis
– Sound and Music
Twentieth-century music history and analysis
Current MPhil/PhD supervisions:
James Williams, ‘Creative interaction and collaborative process in contemporary music and its performance’ [2012-]
Chris Foster, ‘Determining the Indeterminate’ [2008-]
– Winner of the Ruth A. Solie Award, from the American Musicological Society, November 2011, for my book on Recorded Music: Performance, Culture and Technology (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
– British Academy small research grant 7,411.60, February 2011, ‘Rehearsal Analysis of Finnissy’s Third String Quartet’.
– PALATINE Development Award 7,500.00, July 2009, ‘Evolution and Collaboration: the composition, rehearsal and performance of Finnissy’s Second String Quartet’.
– British Academy Larger Research Grant 61,720.00, 2007, ‘From Composition to Performance: Innovations and Interactions in Contemporary String Quartets’.
– University of Wolverhampton Research Development Initiative Bid 20,828.00, 2001.
– Edison Fellowship at the British Library Sound Archive 3000, 2000.
– British Academy East European Exchange Agreement with the Budapest Bartk Archive, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, April 1997 and April 1998.
Royal Academy of Music [PhD, 2013]
Cardiff University [PhD, 2012]
Canterbury Christ Church University [PhD, 2011]
Sydney Conservatorium [PhD, 2009]
Royal Academy of Music [PhD, 2006]
Kingston University [BMus(Hons), 2005-2008]
Kneller Hall Military School of Music [BMus(Hons), 2005-2008]
Other External Roles:
Humanities Editor for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Music Studies [2012-]
Regularly peer reviewer of articles for academic journals and book manuscripts [2005-]